Please find a few tips and suggestions that will aide you in your participation in GHDS meetings on Zoom.
Preparing for a Videoconference:
It is recommended that you…
- load the Zoom app on your computer, pad or cell phone.
- set up your equipment in an area free of distractions and outside noise.
- ensure that the area that sitting in for the meeting is free of distraction and noise.Note:See “I” about changing your background.
- position your computer, pad or cell in a location where you are centered in the screen and are looking straight on at the screen.
- become familiar with the Zoom ribbon, which will look like the one shown below.
- test your volume and make sure that your microphone and speakers are working properly.
- familiarize yourself with the location of the Microphone and Video icons (see below).They are located on the lower left-hand corner of your screen.
- learn how to mute or unmute your microphone.Just click on the microphone icon and if you see a red strike through line on the microphone icon you are muted.
- learn how to start or stop your video.just click on the video camera icon and if you see a red strike through line through the video camera your video feed is off.
- learn how to use the other options available within the Video Camera icon.Just click on the up arrow “^” indicator next to the video camera and a drop-down menu will appear. This is where you can change your background (if your computer system can accommodate this and you have either preloaded or self-loaded backgrounds) and adjust your video settings.
Before a Videoconference:
You will receive notice (via email, Outlook Calendar invite, or both) for a videoconference or conference call from the GHDS staff. The notification will include a link to “Join via computer” as well as phone numbers for a conference call option. It will also include the 9-digit (usually) Meeting ID. It may also include a password if security of the meeting is determined.
To Join the Videoconference:
Before the time of the meeting pull up the email invitation and/or Outlook Calendar invite. At the start time of your meeting, click on the link in the invitation. You may be instructed to download the Zoom application. Before entering you will have an opportunity to test your audio by clicking on “Test Computer Audio.” Once you are satisfied that your audio works, click on “Join audio by computer.”
You may also join a meeting without clicking on the invitation link by going to join.zoom.us on any browser and entering the Meeting ID provided by your meeting host. If you are having trouble hearing the meeting, you can join via telephone while remaining on the video conference: 1. On your phone, dial the teleconferencing number provided in your invitation. 2. Enter the Meeting ID number (also provided in your invitation) when prompted using your touch-tone keypad. 3. If you have already joined the meeting via computer, you will have the option to enter your 2- digit participant ID to be associated with your computer.
During the Meeting:
As a reminder most of your Zoom Controls that you will use are on the lower left corner of your screen. Using the icons in the lower left corner of the Zoom screen, you can: • Mute/Unmute your microphone (far left) • Turn on/off camera (“Start/Stop Video”) • View Participant list – opens a pop-out screen that includes a “Raise Hand” icon that you may use to raise a virtual hand • Change your screen name that is seen in the participant list and video window • Share your screen (if you are a host or co-host only)
- Ensure that your microphone is on mute. When you need to speak raise your hand so that the Chair can recognize you.When recognized you will unmute yourself, speak and then mute again
If you need to temporarily leave the video area; need to eat dinner; or have some other distraction to the meeting, please stop your video feed.
- Can I use the invite icon to invite other people? No, this option is for the host or co-hosts only.
- Viewing meeting participants? In the ribbon line you can see how many participants are on the videoconference.To see actual participants all should appear on screen as they enter the videoconference.If you are not seeing everyone hover in any location of the live video and a black bar should appear at the top.On this bar you will see several selection options.Select the thin single line you will hear sound and no video; the plump single line you should see the active speaker only; the two lines stacked you should see a stacked view of participants; and the six square (Grid View) box you should see a grid of participants.The number of participants visible in the stack and grid view is directly associated to the number of people on the video and whether the screen is shared to show documentation, etc.So, if you do not see everyone that is ok.
- Can I share my screen? Yes, but only if allowed by the host or co-host.
- Is there a way for me to chat with the host or other participants without being heard on screen?Yes, if the host has enabled this you can click on the Chat icon.There you can select “everyone” or just the person you want to chat with; type in your message; and hit enter.
- What is that record icon for? The record bottom is for use by the host or co-host only.There may be a reason that we would record a videoconference.If that is to occur it will be announced at the beginning of the videoconference.
- What is the Reaction icon for? There are two reactions available from Zoom.Just click on the icon and you can either click on the Clap or Thumbs Up icon and it will appear in your screen for all to see.
- What is the How do I leave the meeting? Just click on Leave meeting.
- How do I vote? Several mechanisms can be used and would be at the choice of the Chair.Voting could be accomplished by a show of hands; or by voice with only nays being asked for; or by chat box; or by Ballot during the meeting.
Additionally, there are numerous videos on YouTube that might be of help. You may always contact our GHDS staff with your questions before the meeting, and we will try to work our way through the issues.